Monday, March 18, 2024

Seedlings Still Popping Up; More Plants Begin To Bloom

 I went out today with just enough flags to mark additional seedlings that I found today.

The bulk of the seedlings are still occurring in open areas in and around the first planting area, which was established in 2008.

According to my count today, there are 54 seedlings in that area.

There are nine seedlings so far in the second planting area, which was established in 2010.

In the most recent planting area, which dates from less than five years ago, there were only three seedlings.

I have checked the volunteer areas farther west a couple of times and so far have found no seedlings.

I'd add that a few of the seedlings I  have flagged this year have already died, which is expected.    

I plan to check for new seedlings at least once again this month. I normally don't any after that.

I plan a follow up survey in May or June to see how many of the seedlings have survived.