Saturday, April 6, 2024

Seedlings Still Appearing; Open Gate

 I am still finding additional seedlings at the preserve.

All of them are in the first planting area.

Although the majority are in the path next to the first planting area, I finally found one seedling in one of the openings in the first planting area's western section.

The adult plants from later plantings and seedling survival from a couple of years ago are pretty much done blooming. They should start broadcasting seeds in a month or so.

Like others in this planting area, the seedlings are popping up amid the sand spike moss (Selaginella arenicola) that has re-established itself after being removed back when to make way for the initial planting.

In places where I have open sand, Sand Skink tracks are hard to miss, which is another sign of spring.

On the way back to my truck, I noticed the front gate was open. The chain and lock were intact, so I assumed someone just forgot to relock it when they left. Anyway,. it is locked now.