Sunday, January 29, 2017

Lupine seedling numbers grow

I checked today at the lupine patches to see if any additional seedlings had emerged.
They had, particularly in the first planting area, where the tally is up to about 80.
I also found four seedlings in the native volunteer lupine sites farther west in the scrub.
Now the question is how many of any of these plants will survive until the summer rainy season.

Thursday, January 26, 2017

Initial lupine monitoring mixed

When I noticed Scrub Lupine seedlings emerging earlier this week I began flagging them to assist the volunteers from Bok Tower who will be arriving presently to conduct the official survey.
Most of the seedlings were in the older first planting area.
I may have found one seedling in one of the volunteer patches farther west, but it was so small I couldn't rule out Helianthium.

Monday, January 23, 2017

Another lupine season begins

I went out today to check on damage from yesterday's
The leaning trees are still leaning, but haven't come down yet.
While I was in the area I checked to see if any Scrub Lupine seedlings had emerged.
I found 57 in the first planting area and 12 in the second planting area. This is not a bad start for the year after last year's poor seedling total.
I also saw stakes and clearing that I understand is part of some lupine management research being conducted  in cooperation with Bok Tower.

Saturday, January 14, 2017

How does my rosemary measure up?

One of the things I've noticed over the year is the height of the Rosemary plants in
some spots, which I attribute to lack of fire perhaps.
I have seen plants noticeably taller than me, which isn't that tall in real terms, but seems tall for Rosemary.
All of the Rosemary is in the south tract in discrete sections.
Today I wandered around for a couple of hours looking for plants and measuring their heights.
The tallest plant I found was 76 inches ( 30 cm) tall. Several others were  between 65 and 71 inches tall.
Inevitably my meanderings involved the discovery of small trash caches, some of which I was able to toss into the fire lane for later pickup. The rest I left in small piles to make them more noticeable during future forays.
I encountered a small flock of Pine Warblers, which I find here sometimes in winter, and one Barred Sulfur butterfly. 

Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Getting rid of the concrete pile

I have finished removing the pile of carpet and concrete that was uncovered in the fire lane during the recent bush hog operations that was a prelude to fire lane mowing, which will happen sometime in the future.

I'm still busting up the larger, harder-to-move pieces so I can use them elsewhere, which is either to line an entrance or make an entrance road elsewhere more accessible to two-wheel drive vehicles.

I also rounded up the Corona bottles and returned them to their rightful owner.