Monday, July 27, 2009

Still weeding the lupine

As it turns out, the weeds are pretty rife around the McFarlin's lupine, but I'm making progress in clearing the immediate areas around the plant and opening a couple of isolated plants to better sunlight.

The main offender was Pokeweed, but I did have to remove some resprouting trees as well. Some large sedges and grasses went for good measure.

I think the regular lupine crew will notice a difference this week.

Thursday, July 23, 2009

Weeding the Lupine

I received a plea this week to take a look at the Scrub Lupine planting. It seemed some of it was becoming overrun with other plants.

I went out this afternoon and did what I could, including digging up some trees that would shade the plants out. I pullled a lot of this sedge, the name of which I can't remember, as well as some Natal grass and a few other plants to clear the ground a bit. I dumped all of it except the Natal grass into one of the fire lanes, hoping it will outcompete something less desirable.

The sedges wouldn't be problem if it weren't for the lupine planting, I think.

Meanwhile, looking across the landscape, I see the Natal grass increasing. This could be serious. I don't think Mike's idea that the other plants will outcompete it will hold.

I'll know by fall, I suppose.

Friday, July 3, 2009

Ceraunnus Blues cubed

I was recently surprised to find more than 100 Ceraunus Blue butterflies in the north tract. Today I found more than 300.

They were nectaring on whatever was available, though Polygonella myriophylla was where the large concentrations lay. They were also on two species of Asclepias, Solidago sp. and Polanisia tennufolia and other assorted plants.

I did this survey in the afternoon heat. Next time I'll bring more water. It was brutal out there.