Thursday, July 23, 2009

Weeding the Lupine

I received a plea this week to take a look at the Scrub Lupine planting. It seemed some of it was becoming overrun with other plants.

I went out this afternoon and did what I could, including digging up some trees that would shade the plants out. I pullled a lot of this sedge, the name of which I can't remember, as well as some Natal grass and a few other plants to clear the ground a bit. I dumped all of it except the Natal grass into one of the fire lanes, hoping it will outcompete something less desirable.

The sedges wouldn't be problem if it weren't for the lupine planting, I think.

Meanwhile, looking across the landscape, I see the Natal grass increasing. This could be serious. I don't think Mike's idea that the other plants will outcompete it will hold.

I'll know by fall, I suppose.