Saturday, September 13, 2008

Monitoring a less cluttered landscape

I had a chance Friday to spend the day with a crew from Archbold Biological Station to monitor random plots at Lake Blue where the gyrochopping occurred in June.

I was pleased to learn there are more Liatris than I had been able to locate when the area was heavily wooded. I had gone out with a GPS the day before and had been able to relocate most of the ones I had previous found in this area, which were very few near the northern edge.

I was told there is some interest in using fire instead of an air-curtain incinerator. Fire creates more smoke, but it doesn't involve digging a trench and running equipment across the landscape again. I guess I'll see how that discussion plays out.

I'm happy the site is finally getting some attention and am glad I was able to contribute a little to that fact.