Thursday, December 11, 2008

The Lupine has landed


I've been busy, but this is historic.
On Tuesday I participated in a historic event. It was the first time seedling Scrub Lupine have been planted in the wild. the seedlings and two transplants from the wild came from Bok Tower's endangered plant nursery. The project was a cooperative effort involving Bok, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commis-
sion, The Natives and Ridge Rangers.

I need to go out and get an exact number, but I recall something on the order of 150 seedlings were brought in, plus two non-seedlings and some pots containing a seed each.

I've volunteered to water the plants. So far so good. I gave them their first watering this morning since the initial planting and everything looks good.

This is really exciting.

If it works, more will be planted elsewhere in the preserve.