Sunday, January 4, 2009

A routine develops


I'm watering the lupine and expect to be for some time. Ryan Kordek told me that the critical time, even for established plants, is April and May when the temperature is consistenly warm and there's little precipitation.
The stress takes its toll, he told me.

I have used most of the first 400-gallon tank of water. I'm down to about 160 gallons and the low-government bid hose, which crimps a lot, is aggravating the flow situation.

It appears a couple of plants have already died, but that was expected, I guess. The rest appear healthy, but these
plants always appear healthy until they suddenly decline.

I've been doing more work removing Natal grass from a wider area around the planting site in hopes of controlling its spread. I'll have a better idea of how successful that is this spring.