Saturday, February 20, 2010

Pin the lupine on the sand skink

Thre's another lupine planting planned soon, but first comes the decision of where the planting should go.

The first time around it was a matter of picking a site that was already relatively open and wasn't infested with Natal grass. The gyrchopping, which wasn't discussed during the first site selection, changed that somewhat.

The open area had t be reopened, but it has worked out pretty well.

Now that the landscape is no longer forested, there's thought of opening up a formerly forested area mechanically, but the question is where to do that.

One site was selected, but it would interfere with some study plots that Archbold scientists are studying. I think one of the purposes is to track the response of listed plants to the non-fire management.

Another issue that occurred to me is that the cleared site shouldn't be in an area with a lot of listed plants that would have to be plowed under to make way for the lupine planting.

From my earlier GPS work, it looks as though any area within about 100 feet of the eastern fire lane would work best because I never found much when I was surveying that area, though it was heavily foreested and I could have missed a few plants here and there.

I'm sure it will all work out.