Sunday, April 11, 2010

Visitors day at Lake Blue



Today was another important day to host visitors. I finally had a chance to meet John Beckner, the author of the description of Lupinus aridorum. He personally knew Jim McFarlin in McFarlin's later days living in Bradenton. He was accompanied by Fran Palmeri,, who is recording photographs of scrub plants for something she's working on.

The primary purpose of their visit was to get photos of the lupine, but I was able to show them several other plants, including Nolina britonnia, Persea humilis, Bonamia grandifloria (just sprouting), Lechea cernua, Ceanothus microphylla and several others.

It was great to be there with people who appreciated the wonderful diversity of this small natural area and I was happy to share what I know of it.

John said that Cnidoscolous stimulosus was being split, since there is one variety that is larger and has different leaves and is found here that may warrant description as a separate species. Same goes with one of the Asminias, he said. Frankly, I've never take the trouble to key them out completely. I guess I'll have to pay more attention.

Anyway, it was a pleasant couple of hours. They said they enjoyed it, too.