Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Another Boundary to Defend

I've been working along the northern fire lane again and is it a mess. The neighbors are pigs, based on the new stuff and the previous occupants weren't much better, based on the older material I have unearthed. Nevertheless, I am really worried about the effects of a wildfire along this edge and am planning to clear a wider swath of woody vegetation. The island's owners resist prescribed burns here, but realize the danger and would like to disc a wider fire lane. Maybe this will be establish a template for that work. I do expect to have a couple of large brush piles when I get through with this. It won't add to the already substantial fuels load, adding to recently by the idiots that DEP contracted to deal with exotics, who nuked the grass instead of the stuff that needed the herbiciding. I expect the clearing will make it easier to detect historic and current trash accumulations as well. That's the plan I'll let you know how it goes.