Friday, February 9, 2007

Defensible boundary zone

In the course of my Begonia discovery, I also found more trash along the frontier between the presrve and my neighbor to the south, who appears to have a junk yard on the other side of his house. There were tires, tire rims, the remains of a slide, a bicycle etc. ; more iron for the foundry via the recycling pile. Business has been good on iron recycling lately, anyway, with the price escalating to nearly 5 cents a pound.

It occurred to me I need to do more to clear the area along the fence line so I can be sure what's old junk and what's new junk. I haven't had any problem except one yard-waste-over-the-fence incident last year, which has not been repeated. Since I caught them in the act, I think we have an understanding. I want to do my part and make the preserve side look more presentable than it is now. I probably want to thin out the Cherry Laurel trees, too. I discovered Hercules Club growing on an embankment there. I'd like to give it some room to spread.